Shortcuts
Do we make our own shortcuts, or are some people just lucky enough to find them? I think that we've become a society that has devalued the American Dream to a right rather than a privilege. We don't come out of the womb entitled to success. We're so barraged by images of the successful American--and maybe I speak only for myself and my own social class--and we go on to expect that just to happen. I've had the fortune of finding myself in good situations with great opportunities. Have I necessarily crafted them for myself, or am I just benefitting from luck or karma? How soon will I run out, or will I continue unknowingly laying stones a step ahead?

Lay your stones. Only the wealthy have them laid out forever.
You are a king by your own fireside, as much as any monarch in his throne.